Tuesday, March 10, 2015

That First Step I Took!

Our world is a strange one. Especially when looked at it from the point of view of a family. We love each other, we have each other’s backs, we want the best for each other-and then sometimes, in this very rush to want ‘the best’ for loved ones, we end up killing their dreams mostly in the name of ‘log kya kahenge’ or ‘society kya sochegi’. Thankfully I have got the most amazing parents in the world who have proved time and again how they really love and support me unconditionally, no matter what I choose to do with my freedom and independence.

After completing my graduation, I had several options in front of me. I could go ahead and do an MBA for which I even got a scholarship and it would be the easiest way to earn millions within a short span of time, an option that most of my classmates chose to indulge in. I could also start a job with one of the financial consultancy firms that had come to our campus for placements and get a job experience for 2 – 3 years before getting my MBA degree which would increase my earning potential tremendously. I could also join my uncle’s travel agency and make an easy life, later on doing MBA in a niche subject like –international tourism and go on to establish my own business later in life. But I was not happy with any one of these options. Because I had always dreamt of doing something in the field of charity and volunteer work. I had been associated with quite a few NGOs all during my college time and wanted to make a career in this very field. I was also interested in marketing so I thought, why not take up a regular marketing job which would also give me ample time to devote to causes of my choice and slowly, I could probably make the transition to NGO sector permanently.

Of Course, this dream of mine came under severe criticism from almost all my friends and some acquaintances. Come on, I was a full scholarship student, I won Gold Medal at University in my chosen subjects, I was valedictorian in high school as well as college. One does not simply throw all this away to do some ‘charity work’, they said! NGOs don’t offer any money, any security for future. There is no place for a brilliant person there. Better to work in a high paying job and give some money to charity every year.

However, as I said, my parents have been there to unconditionally support me. They did not ask me to choose a career based on ‘security’ or the millions that I could mint there. Rather they asked me to listen to my conscience and choose whatever makes me happy and feel fulfilled. I zeroed down on an Online SEO Marketing job-since I have always been interested in internet, computer, online search marketing and such topics. This job may not earn me as much as most of my classmates from college, but it gives me satisfaction and also sufficient time to work with some international NGOs who work for causes close to my heart, such as-environment, children’s education, orphans’ adoption and so on. I still remember the day I made this decision and took the first step to really living my life the way I want to :) That is a feeling I hope everyone gets to feel in this lifetime as a human on this planet.

I have not yet completely achieved my dream,but I am on my way. I am learning the ropes, and I am also earning money because I understand the reality of having a good economic foundation before diving deep into any kind of dream world. I am working with NGOs and causes of my choice and consolidating my likes and dislikes and am already building on my ideas of starting my own network of philanthropic activities to aid humanity at large. I have moved to a new city, learnt to live independently and become more street smart than I could have ever thought possible. All this has been possible because I took that very first step :)

I love this video from Housing.com that celebrates this very same spirit of starting a new life :)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment