Sunday, January 24, 2016

Music connects the world through our souls!

Music is probably the only language that does not need words. It is my personal favorite language :)

Now what prompted this observation? Oh,just observing some loved ones :)

I grew up listening to classical ghazals by maestros like Talat Aziz, Pankaj Udhas since they were my dad's favorite. On the other hand, my mom doesn't know a word of Urdu and always put on loads of Bengali and Oriya songs. My dad and I don't know these languages but it never bothered us or stopped us from loving them :)

Last month, my sister had participated in a cultural exchange program at her college according to which,we had to play host to a Japanese college student for a week. While we were apprehensive about how this visit of his would go,we were also very excited to have been given an opportunity to know someone from such a different culture in such a close way. As expected, we learnt a lot from him about his country, his culture, his language, his food habits, his family. However, I did not expect something.

A day before he was leaving for Japan, he brought a CD in our living room and asked us to accept it as a gift. It was a music compilation he had done in his college with his friends and he thought that it would be a gift we would appreciate. My dad asked him to tell us about the song and he just said, 'Music'. We started playing it. Within 2 minutes,I could see my dad closing his eyes and relaxing back in the couch just like he does when we play his favorite ghazals. 

It is a beautiful music piece, a cover of which is here at youtube :)

Just listening to this music, I automatically thought of some harvest songs my mom had played sometime ago,in Oriya language. There is happiness, there is mischief, there is tenderness, there is hope, there is joy of a new beginning. All this in a music piece without any words! I did not need to know Japanese to understand what this music piece is all about. The same reaction ensued when my dad played some Pankaj Udhas ghazals for him. He was spellbound and downloaded them all on his ipod ;)

Isn't this the reason Bach, Beethoven are considered maestros worldwide since their music connects us all beyond the usual boundaries of time and space? No matter where we are, who we are,we simply cannot help being moved by those eternal melodies!

I am sure every single person out there has had a similar experience, of being moved by music in such a unique way that it astounds us too! Truly, it is the best language in the world,as it speaks to our soul and thus needs no verbal communication :)

This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment