Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Chinese Food & Cupcakes Transport Me To...

My First Internship! Yes, I was a student once upon a time (and a very good one too, mind it! :P) and that too of the stream of Management! (Every other stream had rejected to give me admission :D) So obviously, after my 1st year of study,I needed to get 3 months of mandatory Internship Experience while the rest of my friends were busy enjoying their summer vacations...

Since most of my classmates already belonged to or had contacts in various Business Houses they had no difficulty in finding a job suitable enough for them -meaning easy enough for them to do nothing and difficult enough to get a certificate to show to our College Course Co-ordinator at the end of the vacations to get those important credits!

But Alas, since I belong to a typical middle class family with accountants and marketing managers and small-time lawyers as my only contact, that too in far flung areas (Thank you Dad and your transferable job!) I had to literally earn my first internship through buckets of sweat! No Kidding! I had to take out 50 copies of my resume and walk for miles before getting an interview and then another interview and then another..and no final offer in hand! I mean, here I was, offering my talent for free and zamaane ko koi kadar hi nahi thi meri!

Finally I got a little sales representative job for an upcoming health food organic products company and they agreed to give me a certificate plus a princely sum of Rs. 300 for my valuable contribution to increasing their brand awareness!

In any case, I was so overjoyed I could have done cartwheels right there in that dingy Vile Parle East lane -yes,even with my 150 pounds on 5'3" frame :D

Obviously, the first thing I did was to call home and tell my parents that they had nothing to fear, I had landed a job and they could plan their retirement now..okay,not exactly those words, but similar sentiments :P

And guess what I found on coming home? A FEAST PREPARED FOR ME! My favorite Chinese Noodles, Paneer Chilly, Cupcakes and Pastries waiting for me..my awesome parents were so overjoyed at having learnt I could convince some noob to actually pay me to do something that they did not mind spending 1000 bucks expressing their joy (yes, 1000 bucks for me landing a 3-month internship paying 300 bucks) :D

 
All I know is ever since that day, even the smell of Maggi fills me with an amazing wave of memories..my first internship..those days of walking around in sweltering heat hoping somebody to see me as a human not an alien..and finally, victory!

(All the pictures have been lovingly clicked by my sister-Prachi and very cunningly copyrighted by her. I suggest you don't copy them without permission. I have been told she has contacts at high places.)

This post has been written for the 'Smelly to Smiley' contest by AmbiPur and IndiBlogger :)

No comments:

Post a Comment