Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My Mom Should Have Been Named Rosey...

She loves Roses soooooo much! Ever since I was a kid, I remember watching her tuck a red rose in her hair on any important occasion-birthdays, anniversaries, Diwali, Karwa-Chauth..I am pretty sure she put one in her hair the day I completed my potty training!

But I digress..

Anyway, so as I was saying, not only does my mom love actual flowers she even gets salwaar - kurtas with roses or any other flowers printed on them, often looking like a butterfly flitting through a garden :D And if nothing else, she will get a plain salwar kurta of blood red colour...

And boy oh boy, when we visit any place with a park in the vicinity with flowers, she has to stand and pose there -with flowers, grinning like a lunatic..I think she was a gardener in her last life who was murdered while she was watching her favorite roses grow..or something along those lines!

Whenever I see Rose, or any flower for that matter, I automatically think of mom :) Her love for roses is evident with the fact that in over 30 years of marriage, my dad hasn't once forgotten to get her a bunch of dozen roses! He values his life (smart guy!)

You have no idea how I felt when it was Rose Day in college :D

Okay, ignore the last sentence, bad PJ :P But the rest of it,true story ;)

And ofcourse I get to smell roses every single day at home, because that is what my mom does every morning after taking shower-put on Gulab Ittar which freshens up the whole house :) One whiff and I know-This Is Home :) LOVE YOU MOM!
 
See I have proof! Red, flowers, salwar-kurta, grinning like a lunatic, see!

Mom :D

Actually, every smell transports me to some or other memory related to my mom..

When I smell Agarbatti, I remember her praying consistently to all the devtaas to get me good grades in Boards (my studies were not half as consistent as her prayers!) :D

When I smell Cutting Chai, I remember dad saying, 'Ashaaaaaaa, chai' every single morning for past 30 years while opening newspaper's sports page, dot at 7 AM!

When I smell fresh Chapattis, I remember being a 4 year old child pestering her to let me cook a chapati too and her giving me little lois for my little tea set and me getting so happy (funny where this 'eagerness to cook' vanished as I grew older!) :D

When I smell Hot Onion Pakodas, I remember all those rainy evening spent gossiping with mom and dad about all my college hook-ups and break-ups (coolest-parents-ever!) and mom going crazy laughing like Bakasur :D

When I smell fresh pages of a new book, I immediately remember mom being a teacher in my school and leaving her career afterwards to spend all her time and attention on myself and my sister...and never once complaining or regretting her decision..

So whenever I smell Anything, I am reminded of something about my mom..truly,she is the fulcrum of my existence, she is the core of our family...

Mom, how will I repay your debt?!

Love always,
Richa :)

This Blog post has been written for 'Smelly to Smiley' Contest by AmbiPurIndia & IndiBlogger :)

No comments:

Post a Comment